We have shared a review and a free pdf download link (Google Drive) of Essential Microbiology for Dentistry 5th Edition by Lakshman Samaranayake.
The latest edition of this essential textbook continues to support a new generation of dental students in their understanding of microbiomes and oral microbiota, basic immunology, oral and systemic infections, and cross-infection control.
Fully updated throughout with the latest developments in oral microbiology, microbiomics, disease prevention, and control, Essential Microbiology for Dentistry will be essential for all undergraduates studying dentistry as well as anyone undertaking postgraduate training.
Features of Essential Microbiology for Dentistry.
- Friendly, accessible writing style helps readers engage with key information
- Helpful self-assessment – in the style of both dental school and RCS exams –enables students to monitor their progress
- Evidenced-based throughout to help facilitate safe clinical practice
- Ample use of artwork helps explain complex structures, physiological processes, and the effect of drug intervention
- Helpful use of italics for clinically relevant facts and emboldened keywords to highlight important information
- Presents the latest national and international guidelines
- ‘Key Fact’ boxes at the end of each chapter help summarize core information
- Contains a comprehensive glossary and abbreviations list
New to This Edition.
- Expanded to meet the higher level of understanding and application of knowledge required of students today
- Provides a fuller discussion of the oral microbiome and the microbiota; new microbial identification technology; antibiotic stewardship;, ; endodontic infections; implant-related infections; plaque biofilms and the systemic disease axis and the current guidelines on antimicrobial prophylaxis
- Contains new photographic images – many previously unpublished
- Provides enhanced discussions of newer molecular-based methods of diagnosis
- Explores the latest research in dental plaque biofilm functionality and metabolism, and the mechanisms of enhanced resistance caused by biofilms
- Now comes with a helpful ONLINE RESOURCE containing a wide range of MCQs to help students monitor their progress.
Table Of Content.
Why study microbiology?
PART 1: GENERAL MICROBIOLOGY
- Bacterial structure and taxonomy
- Bacterial physiology and genetics
- Viruses and prions
- Pathogenesis of microbial disease
- Diagnostic microbiology and laboratory methods
- Antimicrobial chemotherapy
PART 2: BASIC IMMUNOLOGY
- The immune system and the oral cavity
- The immune response
- Immunity and infection
PART 3: MICROBES OF RELEVANCE TO DENTISTRY
- Streptococci, staphylococci, and micrococci
- Lactobacilli, corynebacteria, and propionibacteria
- Actinomycetes, clostridia, and Bacillus species
- Neisseriaceae, Veillonella, parvobacteria, and Capnocytophaga
- Vibrios, campylobacters and Wolinella
- Bacteroides, Tannerella, Porphyromonas, and Prevotella
- Fusobacteria, Leptotrichia and spirochaetes
- Mycobacteria and legionellae
- Chlamydiae, rickettsiae and mycoplasmas
- Viruses of relevance to dentistry
- Fungi of relevance to dentistry
PART 4: INFECTIONS OF RELEVANCE TO DENTISTRY
- Infections of the respiratory tract
- Infections of the cardiovascular system
- Infections of the central nervous and locomotor systems
- Infections of the gastrointestinal tract
- Infections of the genitourinary tract
- Skin and wound infections
- Viral hepatitis
- Human immunodeficiency virus infection, AIDS, and infections in compromised patients
PART 5: ORAL MICROBIOLOGY
- Oral microbiome and the oral ecosystem
- Microbiology of dental caries
- Microbiology of periodontal disease
- Dentoalveolar and endodontic infections
- Oral mucosal and salivary gland infections
PART 6: CROSS INFECTION AND CONTROL
- Principles of infection control
- Infection control procedures in dentistry: personal protection, sharps injuries protocol, and immunization
- Infection control procedures in dentistry: sterilization, disinfection, and antisepsis
Glossary of terms and abbreviations
Essential Microbiology for Dentistry PDF Download.
You can download Essential Microbiology for Dentistry 5th Edition PDF by links that are given below. If the link is not working, do let us know using the comments section, we will readily update it.
Medicos Ideas work in the way you do, Smarty. While you are downloading PDFs straight on your device, we want you to grab one more great book and to see you become a better Ebooks Manager. And If you like our work kindly do support us.
Download The Best Standard Book of Microbiology